SELECTED DISSERTATIONS CHAIRED OR CO-CHAIRED AND RESULTING PUBLICATIONS:
- Barnhart, Joslyn (Ph.D., 2013).
- "Prestige, Humiliation and International Politics." Ph.D. diss.
- "Status Competition and Territorial Aggression: Evidence from the Scramble for Africa." Security Studies, forthcoming.
- Brawley, Mark R. (Ph.D., 1989).
- Liberal Leadership: Great Powers and Their Challengers in Peace and War. Ithaca, New York: Cornell University Press, 1993.
- "Regime Types, Markets, and War: The Importance of Pervasive Rents in Foreign Policy." Comparative Political Studies 26 (July 1993): 178-197.
- "Political Leadership and Liberal Economic Subsystems: The Constraints of Structural Assumptions." Canadian Journal of Political Science 28 (March 1995): 85-103.
- Cetinyan, Rupen (Ph.D., 1997).
- "Strategy of Ethnic Conflict: Rational Choice in Ethnic Organization and Politics." Ph.D. diss.
- “Ethnic Bargaining in the Shadow of Third-Party Intervention,” International Organization, 56 (Summer 2002): 645-677.
- D'Lugo, David (Ph.D., 1994).
- "The Relative Cost of Power: The Role of Factor Endowments and Comparative Advantage in the Wars of the United States, 1941-1973." Ph.D. diss.
- Gates, Andrea (Ph.D., 2002).
- Promoting Unity, Preserving Diversity?: Member-state Institutions and European Integration. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2006.
- Goldstein, Judith Lynn (Ph.D., 1983, co-chair).
- "The Political Economy of Trade: Institutions of
Protection." American Political Science Review 80
- "Ideas, Institutions, and American Trade Policy." International Organization 42, no. 1 (1988): 179-217.
- Gottfried, Matthew (Ph.D., 2014, co-chair).
- "The origins of consequences of public opinion in coercive terrorist crises." Ph.D. diss.
- Gronich, Lori Helene (Ph.D., 1991).
- "Expertise, Naivete, and Decision-making: A Cognitive Processing Theory of Foreign Policy Choice." Ph.D. diss.
- Gurantz, Ron (Ph.D., 2014).
- "Crisis bargaining and war initiation before a domestic audience." Ph.D. diss.
- Hasen, Richard L. (Ph.D., 1992, w/J.D.,
- "Efficiency Under Informational Asymmetry: The
Effect of Framing on Legal Rules." UCLA Law Review
- "The Efficient Duty to Rescue." International
Review of Law and Economics 15 (June 1995):
- "Clipping Coupons for Democracy: An
Egalitarian/Public Choice Defense of Campaign Finance
Vouchers." California Law Review 84 (January
- "Voting Without Law?" University of Pennsylvania Law Review 144 (1996):
- Hody, Cynthia Ann (Ph.D., 1986).
- The Politics of Trade: American Political Development and Foreign Economic Policy. Hanover, N.H.: University Press of New England, 1996.
- Kagotani, Koji (Ph.D., 2010, co-chair).
- "Military Alliances, Regional Trade Agreements, and the Politics of Compliance." Ph.D. diss.
- Kessler, Alan (Ph.D., 1999).
- "International Trade Theory, Domestic
Coalitions, and the Political Economy of Immigration
Control." Ph.D. diss.
- ”Support for Extreme Right-Wing Parties in
Western Europe: Individual Attributes, Political
Attitudes, and National Context” (with Gary P. Freeman).
Comparative European Politics 3, 3 (2005):
- ”Public Opinion in the EU on Immigration from
Outside the Community” (with Gary P. Freeman). JCMS:
Journal of Common Market Studies 43, 4 (2005):
- ”Political economy and migration policy” (with Gary P. Freeman). Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 34, 4 (2008): 655–678.
- Kim, Myung Chul (Ph.D., 2016).
- "Nuclear Learning: Nuclear Coercion and the Proliferation Dilemma." Ph.D. diss.
- Kurizaki, Shuhei (Ph.D., 2007, co-chair).
- "The Logic of Diplomacy in International
Disputes." Ph.D. diss.
- "Efficient Secrecy: Public versus Private Threats in Crisis Diplomacy." American Political Science Review 101 (August 2007): 543-558.
- Lawson, Fred Haley. (Ph.D., 1982,
- The Social Origins of Egyptian Expansionism During the Muhammad 'Ali Period. New York: Columbia University Press, 1992.
- Legro, Jeff (Ph.D. 1992, co-chair).
- "Military Culture and Inadvertent Escalation in
World War II." International Security 18 (Spring
- Cooperation Under Fire: Anglo-German
Restraint During World War II. Cornell Studies in
Security Affairs. Ithaca, New York: Cornell University
- "Culture and Preferences in the International
Cooperation Two-Step." American Political Science
Review 90 (March 1996):118-137.
- "Which Norms Matter? Revisiting the "Failure" of Internationalism." International Organization 51, no. 1 (1997): 31-63.
- Levin, Dov H. (Ph.D., 2014).
- ”’George Washington Must Go’: The Causes of Great Power Electoral Interventions.” Ph.D. diss.
- "When the Great Power Gets A Vote: The Effects of Great Power Electoral Interventions on Election Results." International Studies Quarterly 60, no. 2 (2016):189-202.
- “Partisan electoral interventions by the great powers: Introducing the PEIG Dataset.” Conflict Management and Peace Science, forthcoming, 2016.
- Lobell, Steven E. (Ph.D. 1997).
- "Second Image Reversed Politics: Britain’s
Choice of Freer Trade or Imperial Preferences, 1903-1906,
1917-1923, 1930-1932.” International Studies
Quarterly 43 (December 1999): 671-694.
- “The Grand Strategy of Hegemonic Decline:
Dilemmas of Strategy and Finance.” Security
Studies 10 (Autumn 2000): 92-119.
- “The Hegemon’s Paradox: Britain’s Choice of
Cooperation or Punishment prior to World War I.”
Review of International Studies 27 (April 2001):
- The Challenge of Hegemony: Grand Strategy, Trade, and Domestic Politics. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2003.
- Nelson, Chad (Ph.D., 2014).
- ”Revolutionary Waves: The International Effects of Threats to Domestic Order.” Ph.D. diss.
- O'Neil, Siobhan (Ph.D., 2014).
- "Dealing with the Devil?: Explaining the onset of strategic state-terrorist negotiations." Ph.D. diss.
- Papayoanou, Paul (Ph.D., 1992).
- "Interdependence, Institutions, and the Balance
of Power: Britain, Germany, and World War I."
International Security 20 (Spring 1996):
- "Economic Interdependence and the Balance of
Power," International Studies Quarterly, 41
- Power Ties: Economic Interdependence, Balancing, and War. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1999.
- Peritz, Lauren (Ph.D., 2015, co-chair).
- "Why Comply? Domestic Politics and the Effectiveness of International Courts" Ph.D. diss.
- Rudolph, Christopher (Ph.D., 2001).
- "Globalization and Security: Migration and
Evolving Conceptions of Security in Statecraft and
Scholarship." Security Studies 13 (Fall 2003):
- "Security and the Political Economy of
International Migration. American Political Science
Review 97 (November 2003): 603-620.
- National Security and Immigration: Policy Development in the United States and Western Europe Since 1945. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2006.
- Shurtz, Robert L. (Ph.D., 2001, co-chair).
- "Monarchy and War: An Inquiry into the Effects of Domestic Politics on International Relations." Ph.D. diss.
- Skålnes, Lars S. (Ph.D., 1993).
- "Grand Strategy and Foreign Economic Policy:
British Grand Strategy in the 1930s.” World
Politics 50 (July 1998): 582-616.
- Politics, Markets, and Grand Strategy: Foreign Economic Policies as Strategic Instruments. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2000.
- Steele, Cherie J. (Ph.D., 1995, co-chair).
- "Altered States: Innovation, Power and the
Evolution of the International System." Ph.D. diss.
- "Trading Up and Trading Down: The Impact of
Technological Change on the International System." In
Peace, Prosperity, and Politics, pp. 213-234.
Edited by John Mueller. Series on The Political Economy
of Global Interdependence. Boulder: Westview, 2000.
- "Communications Revolutions and International Relations (with Arthur A. Stein). In Technology, Development, and Democracy: International Conflict and Cooperation in the Information Age, pp. 25-53. Edited by Juliann Emmons Allison. SUNY Series in Global Politics. Albany: State University of New York Press, 2002.
- Stulberg, Adam N. (Ph.D., 1996, co-chair).
- Well-Oiled Diplomacy: Strategic Manipulation and Russia's Energy Statecraft in Eurasia. Suny Series in Global Politics. Albany: State University of New York Press, 2007.
- Swango, Dane (Ph.D., 2009).
- "The Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty: Constrainer, Screener, or Enabler?” Ph.D. diss.
- "The United States and the Role of Nuclear Co-Operation and Assistance in the Design of the Non-Proliferation Treaty.” The International History Review 36, no. 2 (March 15, 2014): 210–29.
- Trenholm, Kristin (Ph.D., 2001).
- "How States Arm: Alliances and Economic Development as Determinants of Arms Sales and Military Technology Transfers.” Ph.D. diss.
- Wang, Wei-I (Ph.D., 1999).
- "Arms and allies: the production and exchange of military capabilities." Ph.D. diss.
- Weber, Katja (Ph.D., 1992).
- "Hierarchy Amidst Anarchy: A Transaction Costs
Approach to International Security Cooperation."
International Studies Quarterly 41 (1997):
- Hierarchy Amidst Anarchy: Transaction Costs and Institutional Choice. SUNY Series in Global Politics. Albany: State University of New York Press, 2000.
- Willard, Melissa (Ph.D., 2011).
- "Making Friends Out of Foes: The Causes and
Consequences of Foreign-Imposed Regime Change." Ph.D.
- "Planning the Peace and Enforcing the Surrender: Deterrence in the Allied Occupations of Germany and Japan." Journal of Interdisciplinary History 40, No. 1 (Summer 2009): 33-56.